Wednesday, April 17, 2013

April Wisdom & New Music

Greetings world. It is such a privilege to be able to share my thoughts with you in this way. Many things have been happening as time as pressed on, and opportunities are bountiful. God has blessed me with a lot of chances to use my musical skills to collaborate with new people, and make new friends, which will hopefully turn into lasting relationships. I've been in an interesting musical place. I'll be starting up my voice lessons again shortly - which is such a good look. I act like I can just power through records without the correct guidance, but the truth is, every person who ever achieved something great, did it with some form of instructional training. So consider my pride, set aside.

I've been cutting records again, and it feels quite good. My boy Antmaestro is the realest producer and engineer in the streets. I wish I could give a preview of some of these new joints (ultra fire) because I've been hearing that people think I only like Electronica and are unsure of my Rhythm and Blues capabilities. This is just laughable. The fact is, I love any music that clearly and audibly has soul. To the untrained and uncultured ear, 'House' music is just noise, but I don't have time to even go into the details about why it's not. Simply stated, music is an art form, and expression of the human spirit. As a human being, it can't be my place to condemn the art of another artist, solely because it may not aesthetically be in my "lane". How else can we grow as artists, individuals, and more broadly, as human beings, if we carry ourselves in this way?

Moving on, I make Hit Records. Some of you reading this may be familiar with some of the vocal items I've dropped in the past, but I want to state it right now, that these new joints that are currently being cooked up, are just massive to the ears. The biggest difficulty is determining how I will divide the records up and release them - it may sound simple, but it is far from such. The last thing I've been slacking fairly heavily on is being (DJ) evanRevealed. I did the Northeast corridor circuit for the last few years, and it's cool, but I am looking for more. But my skills on the decks need to be impeccable the next time I appear, and that's what I've been working towards.

What else...oh yes. On the self discovery circuit, life is becoming increasingly more about mastering efficiency and defeating laziness. I fell victim to the "things aren't exactly the way I want them to be and thus I can't do anything that I want to do because things aren't perfect" syndrome and I am embarrassed to say the least. Let's be real - we complain too much. A friend of a friend died in my neighborhood earlier this week, and it was quite sudden. We complain about meaningless garbage, and it's cliche, but we just take too much for granted. This dude was in his 20s - the prime of his life. Continually seize opportunities to live the best life you can, and to be the best person that you truly are. Don't wait for tragedy to strike to gain perspective on being thankful for the world around you like I have in the past 48 hours. Don't waste time, wasting time. Time is the world's most valuable commodity. Use every moment you can, because it was truly a gift from above. We all have a destiny, but we control our own fate - know the difference.

On a more cheerful note, I recently completed a remix for a mainstream artist named Vita Chambers. She's signed to SRP/Universal Motown. Some quick M.I. (Music Industry) knowledge. Rihanna was brought to the US and signed to Def Jam after meeting Evan Rogers and Roger Sturken in Barbados. They are songwriters and producers, who have sold over 60 million albums with artists such as: Rihanna, Ruben Studdard, Wild Orchid, Christina Aguilera, Rod Stewart, Kelly Clarkson, 98 Degrees, Mandy Moore, Jessica Simpson, Donny Osmond, Stephanie Mills, and my personal favorite, N' Sync. Isn't it crazy how you've never heard of these dudes, but without them, Rihanna wouldn't exist? Anyway, they signed Rihanna to SRP, then got the joint venture with Def Jam - which currently stands until this day. I met them a few summers ago at a birthday party they threw for their newest artist - Vita Chambers. She's recording the album now and she has a single out called 'Fix You' - which I got to remix! Peep it below. Some of you might say the track is long, but that just means you need to improve your listening stamina. 7 minutes is light work. Shoutout to God for the alley-oop. Until next time..

E.R.



No comments:

Post a Comment